Sunday, August 7, 2016

Harmbe

From June

A meme is going around about the unfortunate events at the Cincinnati zoo last week. Something to the effect of "I would have jumped in to save my kids life"
I would have jumped in if needed and frankly might even with out considering if I could do so without further endangering my child. I am stupid enough to try this and likely would have done so and made the situation far far worse than it was, but I do not believe I would have needed to.
Not after the first time I said "No". Just ask my children If you want I will give you contact info. My wife, myself and my step daughters Father; all taught the children we raised (and are now raising) that they need to obey us first. they can question later and often were encouraged to question later to understand _why_ they were told no. We trusted them to make and learn from small mistakes and taught them that if we said no.. it wasn't small.
as they got older the mistakes they were allowed to make got bigger and repercussions did as well. (not always from us.)
All this being said when I tell my 3 year old grand son at the Zoo who is grabbing the barricade "no" he steps down, sulks and then asks to be picked up to see.
The Zoo will do everything they can to protect and preserve these amazing creatures in their care, and allow us to see them. We should act with no less diligence with the amazing creatures that are our Children.
Oh and I highly endorse child harnesses and tethers (leashes) but those are to keep me in contact with the child in a world of possible danger while letting them explore their world, not to be a limit on them.

No comments: