Saturday, March 25, 2017

A Mile

I have always tried to stay some what neutral in debates on social media that had a direct religious timbre.
Policy I will argue all day long. Opinion well I have one to be sure.
Religious I have tried to stay away from. However today I am breaking with that.
I was raised Christian and I have an unwavering faith in the existence of God.
Today I ran across a passage in the New Testament of the Bible that gave me pause to think . (From the King James Translation)
From Mark Chapter 5
"38: Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40: And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. 41: And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. 42: Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43: Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44: But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45: That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 46: For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 47: And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 48: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."
I am reminded of Christians who refused on "principal" to bake a cake, or to take pictures of wedding ceremonies they disagreed with.
I as a person raised Christian I wonder if making the cake or taking the pictures just might be walking the second mile in our modern world.

No comments: